The Tebo family finally made a decision... we'll be staying in China for one more school year (2010-2011), which will make six years total. Crazy. Many people ask if we'll be moving back to the States but that is not in the cards for us right now... it's one of the few life decisions that Travis and I totally agree on. We love America but we've got "the bug," the travel bug that is and international schools are an AMAZING place professionally for us to be in, not to mention for Gabby. People always ask us when we're moving back to the States but there are many reasons to stay overseas... the opportunity for our family to travel the world, understand cultures, learn a new language, and for our kids (yes, plural but don't read into that too much) to have access to a top notch private school education- for free! I like the idea of us being global citizens... is that cheesy to say? We meet really interesting people and have developed close relationships with others who have become our surrogate family. Gabby probably won't have the opportunity to develop into a sports star (that is such a huge American value), but there are plenty of athletic teams here for young kids to participate in, albeit not as competitive but that's fine with me. We also have no house and no plans on building our house, in say... forever, so that makes it easy to stay overseas. We have no where else to live! Of course, that's another long story. Basically, I hate money and I hate the housing market if you want to sell... Stupid land...woulda-coulda-shoulda...
There's always a chance that we go back for a couple of years and then go back out overseas... I like the idea of laying down roots so that Gabby knows she's American. Third Culture kids have a hard time with the question, "Where are you from?" I want her to know that she's American and from Washington State and take her to football games (go Cougs!). However, with the job market nowadays??? Is that smart? Living near our family pulls on our heart strings and there's no denying that it's difficult being so far away... I'm okay with leaving that door open and not having a specific plan. In this day and age, you need to be flexible. Plans don't always go your way and you need to adjust. Anyway, that's where our heads are at. We're staying in China for another year and will continue to stay overseas for awhile... maybe forever, maybe not, we will see...
As for winter break plans... we are coming home! Bremerton, Washington that is... I can smell Spiro's pizza right now... I know I told people we were going to travel around Italy but I love being with family and friends at Christmas time and miss them tons! Are you happy, Beth? Do I hear a woot-woot?!?!
5 comments:
Cara,
I totally understand your decision! It is hard to make a decision so early in the year, but I think we'll be making the same one (in Brazil, that is!). It is remarkable to think about the opportunities our kids have!
LOL for the shout out! I like how you start with the news I will not like and finish with what I will. You trickster.
Make sure you look in to places to go where J and I can join you!
You're a bitch for mentioning Spiros to a woman who hasn't had dinner!
Miss you all so much!! I can't believe how much Gabby has grown. We need to skype soon. Lots of. Love, Becky
Glad to hear that it is still working for you over there. I still miss the friends we made. I'm glad that Gabby will have a chance to get the most out of living overseas!
-(a different) Cara
Cara, Travis,
Check out AISM
The American school of Maputo
Mozambique is lovely, on the Indian ocean and 1 hour from a great safari park in South Africa.
Hugs,
Cherry
Post a Comment