Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gabby's First Jack-O-Lantern





Keeping the American traditions alive, we went over to a friend's house for dinner and had the kids do some jack-o-lantern cutting. As with most things in China, the pumpkins here are... ummm... different. They're not the orange color I'm used to but they're good enough. You may notice a greenish tint on our pumpkin. This was Gabby's first time doing this and I guess she had fun... she lasted for a little while but quickly got bored. Oh well, she's a toddler. The parents had fun, and Travis did a good job making our first family jack-o-lantern.

2 comments:

Beth Zarling said...

At least you are teaching her something about crazy American holidays. I hope there are the decorations I sent you around the house!

Unknown said...

I didn't know that the pumpkins were different! In Australia we have lots of different types of pumpkins and the ones we carved for Halloween in Beijing looked pretty much like what I expected! It goes to show that American (or any other, for that matter) culture is always a bit 'interpreted' when it hits another country!

A funny similar story - in Australia our Christmas trees have really long needles and are kind of droopy. They don't really look like a cartoon Xmas tree, so I spent my whole childhood wondering why the cartoon Xmas trees were so pointy! But ours do smell great, really pine-y! Anyway, when we moved to Germany, I found out that 'real' Christmas trees are actually quite pointy and do look like the cartoon ones! Mystery explained! But the Aussie ones smell waaaaay better!