Friday, August 28, 2009

Gabby's First Day at Junior Pre-School





Gabby had her first day of junior pre-school (pics coming soon, I think) and she LOVED it. The first day was from 9-11 am and it was an orientation for parents and kids. However, I learned later it was really to "test" your kids at how well they would adjust to a school setting. She had no problems and jumped right in. I love this kid! We made noodle necklaces (actually I did while she was moving them around the table) and a frame for a family picture. She played at the different stations while I chatted with the other moms. So far, we're the only Americans in her class, which may seem weird for some people but now that I've been an expat for awhile it seems to be more the norm. Sometimes there's a language barrier, so it can be tough. At snack time (the part I feared), it went okay. I placed her at a table where there was no bread and told Ms. Penny (her lovely teacher who is from the Phillippines) that we need to be careful about cross-contamination. I was happy to see that they washed all the kids' hands right after. I have a hard time asserting myself at times, but when it comes down to my daughter and her health- I have no problems. So far, they've been receptive. I had to ask about what brand of glue they were using (Elmer's and Rosecrafts are okay) and they said it was a Chinese brand but will check if it is gluten free or not. I can't ask for much more. Afterwards, I dropped Gabby off so she could eat lunch and nap. Chen said it took forever to get her to sleep because she was so hyper and excited about her day at school.

1 comment:

Beth Zarling said...

Fun! I can't wait to see pics!