Friday, March 13, 2009

Lama and Confucius Temple

This me at the Confucius Temple- FREEZING! 

This is also at the Confucius Temple- I really like these trees. They're thousands of years old.


Cool Architecture in the Lama Temple. These are several buildings close together.

The HUGE Buddha. You're not supposed to take pictures, but Travis took this very fast, which is why it is a bit blurry.

It was a VERY cold and windy Thursday in Beijing, but that didn't stop the Tebos from being tour guides to some friends who were visiting. Since we haven't gone yet, we decided to see the Lama Temple, and afterwards, walk to the Confucius Temple. Like UK and Europe, who have the ABC (Another Bloody Church) Syndrome... Asia has the ABT (Another Bloody Temple) Syndrome. Yes, they are beautiful. Yes, they are old and amazing. Yes, they have historical significance. But once you've seen a couple- they kind of lose their magic. I have to say, though, the Lama Temple is pretty cool. My favorite part was the HUGE Buddha carved from sandalwood. It was enormous and magnificent (and really dusty). I enjoy looking at Tibetan art and there was plenty to see- I love the bold colors an intricate designs. Plus, I get a kick out of looking at all the fat, happy Buddhas. There were also several people praying and monks walking around- which I always find fascinating. All in all, I think both the temples are worth the trip, but go on a warmer day and bring the appropriate clothes.

1 comment:

Beth Zarling said...

It's about freakin' time you went to the lama temple!