Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ballet With Chinese Characteristics


Expats have this saying in China. Whenever we encounter something that is familiar to us yet has a certain Chinese twist to it we say that it has Chinese Characteristics. The ballet "The Red Detachment of Women" is a prime example of this. 
On Friday, Cara and I went to see this ballet that was first performed in 1964. Although technically ballet, this performance includes some singing and choreographed arm pumping and gun thrusting. Swords, daggers, and guns play a big role in communicating the concept of how the revolution offered strength to those who were weak or downtrodden. 
Check out this wikipedia page that describes the ballet in detail. Chinese Ballet
Although this was my first experience with any ballet, I thought the dancing was pretty incredible. The story gives insight into the struggle that occurred during the years before the founding of the PRC. My favorite part of the ballet was the live music performed by a full size symphony orchestra. I'm not sure if I will become a fan of ballet but I certainly will not see another one that features meat cleavers, swords and rifles. 

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is feel good......