Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Huangshan, China Trip

Mt. Huang or "Yellow Mountain." We climbed this and it was over 5000 steps and 6.5 km long. It took me about two hours and the steps were straight up and down. I was in the middle-top of the pack, so not too shabby for a 30-something year-old.

This guy is planting rice. Crazy, huh? He is wearing no shoes and does this for almost ten hours straight. Makes you think differently about that bowl of rice and how it gets to you...
These are tea leaves... we got to pick some and then participate in a Chinese Tea Ceremony. I had no idea what was going on because it was in Chinese but I loved trying all the tea.

My attempt at being artistic...
I bet this roof is 800 years-old or something.

This was a village, called Tangmo. It was really cool. This architecture is traditional Huangshan style 
(white w/ black roofs)

I went on a school trip last week to Huangshan for three nights and four days. I picked this trip because you get to fly both ways and I didn't have to take the overnight train with hard-sleepers. I was completely exhausted the whole time because we were insanley busy, but I actually had fun (minus all the Chinese food, so glad I brought my Western snacks). I enjoyed learning about the culture and getting out of Beijing for a couple days- even though I missed my family.

1 comment:

Beth Zarling said...

Those are some cool pictures. That is an awesome field trip. Totally beats my trip to the zoo with my elementary school today!